Matthew Cowan is a freelance web developer, designer, & graphic artist from Washington, MO. He is extremely satisfied with his current situation as a freelancer, and is not interested in permanent 9 to 5 positions.
- Freelance Web Developer & Graphic Designer (January 2011 - Present): Plan, design & develop websites, create and implement strategies for generating web traffic, and optimize website performance.
- Adjunct Instructor (Web Design) - East Central College (September 2012 - December 2012): Emergency replacement instructor for web design I. Teaching students is a lot harder than writing code.
- Web Developer - American Expedition/Ideaman Inc. (March 2011 - November 2011): Designed, developed & maintained 3 websites. Transitioned to continuing freelance relationship with the company in November 2011.
- Web Development: Back-end design using PHP, SQL and relational databases.
- Graphic Design (Print): I don't pursue this as actively as web design, but I do have experience with print advertising, including direct mail campaigns.
Programming & Mark-Up Languages
- HTML: Highly confident in my knowledge of HTML & XHTML markup, and knowledgeable about HTML5.
- CSS: Highly confident in my knowledge of CSS2 & CSS3.
- PHP: Highly confident in my ability to write & knowledge to troubleshoot PHP5+.
- SQL: Highly confident in my ability to write & troubleshoot SQL.
- Actionscript (Flash/Flex): Haven't written this in a while, but I used to be good with it.
- Python: Still learning.
Web Frameworks & Content Management Systems
- Joomla: Highly confident in my knowledge of Joomla. I have programmed & designed custom components & modules. Strong experience with the extensions K2 and Virtuemart.
- WordPress: I don't work with it or like it as much as Joomla, but I won't drown in the code, either.
- Smarty: I've had to do a fair amount of work with this templating engine.
- LAMP & WAMP: Extremely comfortable working on both server environments.
- Notepad++: I prefer to use a highly capable text editor to an IDE or WYSIWYG programs.
- Abode Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Flash